I remember about this time last year talking to a friend who was getting into keto and asking him “What do you eat then?” and one of the things that got me excited were fat bombs. Basically a combo of HEALTHY butters, oils and sometimes nuts of dried fruit. They’re super easy to make. You just warm everything to liquid in a saucepan and then put the mixture into a tray and freeze them. I use both an ice cube tray and a mini muffin tray.
They’re really the perfect convenience food. Fat is extremely satiating, it doesn’t support an appetite to overeat, and it’s frikkin delicious. I know many people are still nervous about eating high fat, thinking fat = body fat, but it doesn’t. Body fat storage is typically triggered by the kind of insulin response that excess carbohydrates generate, as well as stress (increased cortisol = increased insulin).
Honestly, try them!! Here are a couple recipe’s you can start with, but I encourage you to play around with it!
Coconut Cup Fat Bombs
- Warm equal parts cocoa butter and coconut oil on the stove top (both contain zero carbs)
- Fill your tray with unsweetened coconut flakes (about 2 net grams of carbs per tbsp.)
- Pour in the melted cocoa butter & coconut oil, place tray in freezer
- After about 10 minutes, place a couple of chocolate chips on top, or not! (They would add about 0.3 g carbs)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Square Fat Bombs
- Warm 3 parts peanut butter and 1 part 90% dark chocolate
- Blend your favorite nuts (I like macadamia & brazil nuts as they’re the lowest in carbs), and mix in with melted nut butter and dark chocolate, creating a ratio of 1:1 blended nuts vs. melted mix.
- Fill tray and place in freezer, going back in about 10 minutes to place 1-2 full nuts on top to give it a crunch.
That’s it. So simple. You could also try putting solid nuts throughout instead of blending them, or swapping out the peanut butter for a different nut butter, like almond, which has about half the carbs as peanut butter. Also, sometimes adding mint extract gives them an after-eight taste which I LOVE!
What’s YOUR favorite fat bomb combo?